Dedication of New England Sinai Hospital at 215 Forest Hills Street. November 1953. Boston Herald.
This image ca. 1901 is of a house on Lotus Place, near the Forest Hills Car House. Image courtesy of the Boston City Archives.
The Jamaica Elm, located at Green and Rockview Streets. This image is from a glass plate negative in the JPHS archives. Image taken by Henry A. Stanley, 1914.
Picture of members of the GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) in their uniforms next to the Jamaica Plain train station. We do not have an exact date for this picture, but it’s likely the 1880s (or early 1890s, since the station is not yet up on the Embankment).
Bartlett Square, 1951. Courtesy of City of Boston Archives. More information and full resolution image here.
Ice slides down a conveyor at an ice house at Jamaica Pond. Courtesy of the City of Boston Archives. Full resolution image and more information here.
Workers load ice into an ice house at Jamaica Pond. Courtesy of the City of Boston Archives. More information and full resolution image here.
Workers remove snow from surface of Jamaica Pond in preparation for ice harvesting. Courtesy of the City of Boston Archives. More information and full resolution image here.
Corner of School and Washington Streets in Jamaica Plain in 1904. Courtesy of the City of Boston Archives. More information and full resolution image are found here.
This sketch is labelled “Sitting in Franklin Park drawn by Howard” The artist is John Howard Nickerson (born 1870) who was a resident of Dorchester in 1894. This sketch probably dates from around that time. It depicts a view across to Sumner Hill in Jamaica Plain, with the Eliot High School on the top of the hill (with flag to right). Image courtesy of his granddaughter, Virginia Nickerson.
Centre St. looking from Burroughs St. towards Greenough St. in Jamaica Plain, 1967. Source of photograph is unknown.
Scene on July 26, 1966 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Jamaica Plain after three gunmen robbed an armored car, shown on left, of $60,000. Two guards were wounded in their legs. Bullets hit the truck and hospital windows.
Ice Houses are shown in the background of this circa 1900 photograph of Jamaica Pond. Recreational boats can be seen in the foreground. Download a 119MB .tif file.
Hyde Square in 1970s
A view of Hyde Square in the 1970s showing Centre Street looking towards Blessed Sacrament Church. On the right in the background is Sheridan Street. On the left is Bottled Liquors. Download a 150MB .tif file.
Photographic postcard. Possibly the John R. Alley house that stood at 3 Revere Street on the corner of Elm Street in Jamaica Plain. Download 68mb .tif file.
The Staff Photo Caption Slip on the back of the image of Kerry Lillis working at the Ice Box in 1989.
St Thomas Aquinas Church in 1910 & 1940. Learn how the facade of the church was changed so drastically here. Images provided courtesy of Richard Heath
In 1978 Cambridge Seven completed this design for the new Forest Hills Station. This concept included a two-level garage over a parking lot at street level on Hyde Park Avenue. It also included two busways which circled through the station. Another significant change they proposed was to have 3 air vents built in the center of the site. The third vent was added to provide ventilation for the garage. However, local opposition to the garage, changes in elected officials and budget reductions on the Southwest Corridor project forced a complete redesign, The garage was eliminated and busway routes changed. The actual new station was complete in 1982. This rendering is from the Jamaica Plain District Profile published by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in 1979.
A view of Parkview Road, later renamed to Parkton Road. Circa 1913. Jamaica Plain Historical Society archives. Download a 99MB .tif file.
In 1914, four apartment buildings covered with light stucco were erected on Hyde Park Ave far South of the train station. The complex was called "White City" in emulation of the World's Columbian Exposition a decade earlier. The name was later borrowed by the White City Food Store and the White City Cleansers (sic) on the corner of Hyde Park Ave and Eldridge Road, thus putting the "White City" name on two large signs visible even to those whizzing by on Hyde Park Ave. White City came to be regarded as a section of Forest Hills, but not a separate section of Jamaica Plain. Its borders were seen as Walk Hill Street, Hyde Park Ave and St. Michael's Cemetery. The area now thought of as "Woodbourne" was contained within.
Photographic postcard held in Jamaica Plain Historical Society archives. Download 92mb .tif file. Caption courtesy of Wikipedia.
53 Peter Parley Road in 1913 (postcard). Postmark Boston August 18, 1913 Jamaica Plain Station. Sent to Elizabeth MacDonald on Prince Edward Island, Canada. Image courtesy of Henry Scannell.
Amory Street Carhouse (undated) From City of Boston Archives - Public Works Department photograph collection, 5000.009
Bartlett Square taken on January 26, 1951 Courtesy of City of Boston Archives - Public Works Department photograph collection, 5000.009.