100-102 Seaverns Ave. at the corner with Everett St., Elm St. and Gordon Place..
100-102 Seaverns Ave. at the corner with Everett St., Elm St. and Gordon Place.
Seaverns Ave looking towards Centre St. at the intersection with Starr Lane.
38-40 Seaverns Ave.
38-40 Seaverns Ave.
38-40 Seaverns Ave. Circa 1983.
These businesses occupy the block of Centre St. ending at Elliot St. The addresses include 765, 767, 769, 775, 777, 779, and 783 Centre St. Two of these businesses, Julia's Beauty Shop and AAA Appliances, remain in business at their same locations as of March 2003.
Bank of Boston, 677 Centre Street.
Boston Chicken, 725 Centre St.
The Boston Five Cents Savings Bank, previously located at 696 Centre St. Currently the location of a Citizens Bank branch (2003).
These businesses occupy the block of Centre St. between the driveway and Burroughs St. The addresses are 733, 735, 729, 725, 723, and 713 Centre St. As of March 2003, the businesses occupying this block, from left to right, are Hyde Park Cooperative Bank, Boing Toys, Peoples Federal Savings Bank, Costello's, and Coldwell Banker.
726 Centre St. at the corner of Harris Ave. Jamaica Plain Real Estate occupies the building on the corner. The building was subsequently occupied by Innovative Moves, established by Avi Davis in 1985 and closed in 2002. It is currently (2003) occupied by Jamaica Hill Realty.
726 Centre St. at the corner of Harris Ave. In this picture, Louis Market occupies the building on the corner. The building was subsequently occupied by Jamaica Plain Realty and then Innovative Moves. It is the current home of Jamaica Hill Realty (2003).
This photograph of 144-146 South Street shows the old Bulldog Pub and Christy's Market. As of March 2003, the Jeanie Johnston Pub is located at 144 South Street and El Puly Fashions clothing store is located next door at 146 South Street.
JAX Discount Center at 704 Centre St. Currently the home of a CVS store (2003).
663, 665, and 667 Centre St. JP Licks is currently located directly to the right of the printing business shown in this photograph.
713, 711, 709, and 707 Centre St. are shown here. As of March 2003, these storefronts are occupied by Coldwell Banker, 711 Grill, Arborview Realty, and the Ban Chaing House.
462, 464, and 470 Centre St. are shown here. As of March 2003, these storefronts are occupied by Quisqueya Bakery, Acapulco Restaurant, and the Rhythm & Muse bookstore. In the 1950s, Louie’s Deli, perhaps the only Jewish Deli in Jamaica Plain, was owned by Louis and Lillian Rosenfield and occupied 466 Centre St.
720, 722, and 724 Centre St. are shown here. As of March 2003, these storefronts are occupied by Sawyer Insurance, Scanlon Physical Therapy, and Jamaica Hill Realty.
Woolworth Co. was located at 678 Centre St. In this view looking towards Seaverns Ave., Publix is seen to the right and Jones Card Shop to the left of it. Beyond Hallmark, not seen, is Hailer’s Pharmacy. On the far corner of Seaverns Ave. is the Clothes Inn.
The Children's Museum, once located at 60 Burroughs St, moved downtown in the late 1980s.
The Clothes Inn located at the corner of Centre St. and Seaverns Ave. In 2003 it was a video store. Kennedy's Butter and Eggs is seen to the left.
The Clothes Inn located at the corner of Centre St. and Seaverns Ave.
Condo construction under way at 131-135 Green St. on January 15, 2006. This location was also home to Green Street Station Pub, Kilgariff’s Pub and The Bog Pub. Photograph courtesy of Charlie Rosenberg.
Curtis Hall, located across from the Monument on Centre St.
The old fire house at 659 Centre Street. Now home of JP Licks.
The old fire house at 659 Centre Street under renovation and the old Post Office building to the right.
The old fire house at 659 Centre Street under renovation. Now home of JP Licks.
659 Centre Street when it housed Bruegger's Bagels and the Arts Center.
The old fire house at 659 Centre Street when it housed Bruegger's Bagels and the Arts Center.
Flanagan’s Super Market at 467 Centre St. at the corner of Moraine, Boylston, and South Huntington Ave. In the 1940s and 1950s, an A&P grocery store was at this location.
650 and 654 Centre St. are shown here. As of March 2003, Classic Cleaners still occupies the storefront to the left. Christopher Kokoras Insurance now occupies the location where Food For Thought once thrived.
The old Orange Line station at Forest Hills.
Forest Hills T elevated station, 3700 Washington St., ca. 1980
Amy's fruit and vegetable stand, Burroughs & Centre Sts., now 683-693 Centre Street.
Former Boston Gas building, 144 McBride St. at Washington St. during conversion to Jamaica Plain High School ca. 1979. In 1989, it became English High School.
Greater Boston Bank, formerly Jamaica Plain Cooperative Bank, Centre St. opposite Seaverns Ave.
Green St. Station pub at 131-135 Green St. This location was also home to Kilgariff’s and The Bog ca. 1988.
The Bog pub at 131-135 Green St. This location was also home to Kilgariff's and Green St. Station pubs.
Surret Market on Green St. looking west toward Centre St. Note the fading paint just below the roof line advertising a long-defunct plumbing and heating supply company. This four-story mansard-roofed building was built in 1879 by Canadian immigrant Alfred Pappineau. It housed a carriage factory and livery stable. The building seen beyond the old carriage factory is the Hotel McKinley built shortly after 1890 by Patrick Meehan. Built along with a sister building, the Hotel Morse, these building were actually apartment buildings with retail space on the first floor and apartments on the floors above.
Green St. looking east toward Washington St., ca. 1980
Hailer Pharmacy, 674 Centre St. at Seaverns Ave., ca. 1980.
Hailer Pharmacy under conversion to JP Lick's ice cream parlor, 674 Centre St. at Seaverns Ave.
Workers remove the sign from the Hanlon's Shoes store at 705 Centre St. at Burroughs St.
Harry's Hardware at 708 Centre St. and the Galway House pub at 720 Centre St.
Former Howard Johnson's and Arbor House restaurants, Morton St. near Forest Hills Cemetery, ca. 1980
Brick Second Empire rowhouses were very popular in more urban sections of Boston, but were an anomaly among the detached houses of Jamaica Plain's Sumner Hill neighborhood. 22-26 Greenough Avenue, ca. 1875, is one of only four such groups built there.
92 Seaverns Street.
49 Burroughs Street.
9 Myrtle St.
Sturtevant-Foss House. This home at 11 Revere St. was built in 1890 and is shown here before conversion to condos. It was built by Jamaica Plain inventor and industrialist Benjamin Franklin Sturtevant (1833-1890) and later occupied by his son-in-law Governor Eugene Foss.
Oakdale St. between Green St. and Cerena Rd., looking north with land cleared for the Southwest Corridor in the foreground.
31 and 33 Seaverns Ave.
12 Agassiz Park
A view at Jackson Square. The Prudential building and the Fort Hill standpipe tower are visible in the background. Note on the far right the remnants of the New York, New Haven & Hartford railroad embankment. The large granite stones removed from the embankment were later used in the Southwest Corridor Park.
The Franklin Building on Centre St., looking past Jones Card & Gift Shop, Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center, and a Dentist office.
The Franklin Building on Centre St., with Jones Card & Gift Shop, Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center, and a Dentist office.
Woolworth's, 678 Centre St., Kelleher's Supermarket, 684 Centre St., Boston 5 Cents Savings Bank, 696 Centre St., and Yumont Tru-Value store, 702 Centre St.
Kennedy Butter & Eggs store, 668 Centre St. Bob Allen closed his store in January of 2000 after 32 years of operation in Jamaica Plain. The store was part of a chain that once had more than 100 stores in New England but is now practically extinct.
Kidstuff store on Green Street near Centre Street.
Loring-Greenough House, 12 South Street as viewed from Civil War Monument.
The Loring-Greenough House, 12 South St.
640 Centre St. at the corner with Green St. Apparently built as the Jamaica Plain Market and later home to Metropolitan Furniture company. In this view, the building was home to the Thrift Shop. The building was torn down to make room for the new Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center.
640 Centre St. at the corner with Green St. Apparently built as the Jamaica Plain Market and later home to Metropolitan Furniture company and then the Thrift Shop. The building was torn down to make room for the new Southern Jamaica Plain Health Center.
The Mobile gasoline station at 626 Centre St. at the corner with St. John was a fixture in Jamaica Plain for more than 60 years. From the 1960s to 1990s it was known as George's Mobil before George left the Mobil franchise and changed the station's name to GRV. George passed away in the late 1990s.
Two generations of the Morrison family have served Jamaica Plain residents with quality auto repair service at 475 Centre St. Previously a Esso and then an Exxon gas station occupied this property.
Forest Hills Station on the old elevated Orange Line.
The Orange Line's new Green St. station under construction. On the left in the foreground is Amory Street and English High School. On the right, the rear of homes on Everett St. are shown.
A view of the newly completed Orange Line looking from Williams St. towards Green St. The smokestack of the old Haffenreffer Brewery can be seen to the right of the approaching train.
Historic Pinebank (the third version of the house) located next to Jamaica Pond circa 1980.
The old police station on Seaverns St. before condo conversion.
Same Old Place at 662 Centre St. looks much the same today as it does in this 1970s view.
The Smith Pharmacy stands at the corner of Pond St. and Centre St. Smith Pharmacy along with Hailer's and nearly every other family-owned pharmacies were driven out of business by the giant chain pharmacies that dominate the industry today. Storefronts at 603 and 597 Centre St. are also shown.
Fran and Pat's Sub Shop served lunch to a steady stream of blue collar workers in the area from its home in a trailer off Amory Street between Green and Cornwall Streets. Although no longer in business, the small building that onced housed the establishment can still be seen on the grounds of a commercial lot.
Sydney's Bar at 203-209 Green St.
Thrift Shop of Boston occupies this storefront at 656 Centre St. at the corner with Starr Lane. This is the current home of Ace Hardware.
701 and 703 Centre St. at the corner with Burroughs St. At the turn of the century this building housed C.B. Rogers & Company pharmacy and it remained in that use through the mid-1970s.
A view down Washington St. with the old Orange Line T overhead.
This view looks down Washington St. with the old Orange Line elevated structure overhead. The low blue building on the left is the Brookside Health Center. A portion of the Evangelical Church on the corner of Washington and Cornwall Streets is visible on the right. The two triple-deckers are between Ackley Place and Cornwall Street.
3353 Washington St, the Bottled Liquors store, at the corner of Green and Washington Sts.
This view looks up Green St. towards Washington St. The structure over the intersection is the old elevated Orange line Green St. station constructed in 1906 and dismantled in 1987. Sydney's Bar is seen to the right in the foreground and the Bottled Liquors store is beyond it.
678 Centre St. The F.W. Woolworth Company, one of the many "Five and Dime" stores that were once a staple in every city and town, served Jamaica Plain with inexpensive clothes, household goods, sewing supplies, linens, plants, pet supplies, paper goods and recorded music. In it's early days, it also had a lunch counter, although that was later removed. This store was closed in the late 1990s.